Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami is a Professor of Economics at Lakehead University. He has written numerous reports on the state of Northern Ontario’s economy and its labour market. His areas of expertise include:
- Statistical analysis of data and forecasting,
- Economic damage assessment,
- Loss of housekeeping and maintenance capacity,
- Loss of use of land,
- Aboriginal economics and loss of competitiveness,
- Economic impact assessment,
- Assessment of economic trends, industry study, identification of occupational trends, Aboriginal labour market, local and regional indicators,
- Social and economic impact assessment:
- Existing business operation,
- New investment,
- Closure of a firm or business.
- Building computerized & user-friendly economic impact models for small and large communities.
- Building computerized & user-friendly models to estimate labour market indicators (unemployment, employment and participation rates) for small and large communities.
Dr. Moazzami has written extensively on labour market trends in Ontario and other Canadian provinces. His recent reports/publications include:
- The changing profile of the unemployed, underemployed and non-working population in rural and urban Ontario for Ontario Centre for Workforce Innovation, 2017.
- Northern Projections: Human Capital Series – individual reports for 11 districts in Northern Ontario for Northern Policy Institute, 2017.
- Estimating Community Labour Indicators between Censuses for North Superior Workforce Planning Board, 2017.
- It’s what you know (and where you can go): Human capital and agglomeration effects on demographic trends in Northern Ontario for Northern Policy Institute, March 2015.
- Fewer & Older: Population and Demographic Crossroads in Rural British Columbia for Essential Skills Ontario, May 2015.
- Fewer & Older: Population and Demographic Crossroads in Rural Saskatchewan for Essential Skills Ontario, April 2015.
- Fewer & Older: The Coming Population and Demographic Challenges in Rural Newfoundland & Labrador for Essential Skills Ontario, March 2015.
- Fewer & Older: The Coming Demographic Crisis in Rural Ontario for Essential Skills Ontario, November 2014.
Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami has written many expert opinions and has given expert testimony in Ontario courts. He has access to most recent and detailed micro-data and census data on individuals (Francophones, immigrants, visible minorities, Aboriginal, and non-Aboriginal) living and working in Northwestern Ontario, Northeastern Ontario as well as those in Ontario and Canada. Use of detailed data specific to individuals residing in northern communities is one of the important factors distinguishing Dr. Moazzami’s reports from others.